The white walls of the City Palace soar above the peaceful waters of Lake Pichola topped by ornamental battlements and turrets. The sprawling palace has been developed by successive Maharanas since the foundation of Udaipur in 1559. Part of the palace is home to the current Maharana, a section of it is a first-class hotel (with the best restaurant in the city) and the remainder is a museum. The approach to the city palace is through Hathi Pol.
Situated on the western side of Udaipur, it derives its name from a nearby village Picholi. The lake is fifteen kms in area and has a depth of twenty-five feet. Udai Singh built a dam and since then the lake has become a meeting place for more than two hundred species of migratory and non-migratory birds. On a four-acre land at the centre of the lake is the Lake Palace built in white marble, which seems to float amongst the calm waters of the lake. One can take a boat ride and visit the numerous ghats.
This delightful lake, bordered by hills and woodland was constructed by Maharana jai Singh to the north of Lake Pichola. It is an artificial lake dug up in 1678, reconstructed by Maharana Fateh Singh A canal links the two, via Swaroop Sagar and Rang Sagar Lakes. The beautiful Nehru Island as well as an islet bearing a solar observatory rises from the lake.